Saturday, November 22, 2008

Flying Home

Tomorrow Luke & I are flying to Montana for Thanksgiving week. We are really looking forward to it as we are spending Christmas in Missouri this year. I have a little success story that I would like to share with anyone that plans to fly in the near future.

Here is what happened to us. I've gotten in the habit of buying plane tickets as soon as I know that we want to travel somewhere. Last year at Christmas we waited and waited for prices to go down and then they never did and we ended up driving to Montana, which turned out to be not such a good idea in December. So, when we decided to go to Montana for Thanksgiving this year, I booked us tickets in July. The prices weren't great, but we were afraid they would continue to increase so we bit the bullet and bought them. The last couple weeks I've been receiving numerous emails about airline sales and great holiday flight prices. So, I typed in our exact flight number for the exact days and the prices had dropped $120 per ticket! I was kind of pissed off that we had once again gotten screwed so I called United Airlines to complain thinking I would get nowhere. Instead, the customer service rep was really nice and offered to give us each a travel voucher for the amount we had over-paid!! We received them in the mail just the other day. He did say that he could only do this because we had booked them on united.com and not like Orbitz or Travelocity or somewhere like that.

So, moral of the story is whether you book early or late you never know what the prices are going to do---so just call and complain! You might actually get somewhere! And...use the airline's website!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a great life lesson. Ha. I love it.