Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hellos and Goodbyes

Monday night, my cow (my only cow), Bella, started to have her calf right before Luke came in for dinner. This was her first calf, so we went back out around 10:00 to see how things were progressing. Unfortunately, we didn't see a new calf. Instead she hadn't made much progress at all. To make a long story short, we had one heck of a time getting her in the corral and pulling the calf. I didn't think the calf was breathing when it first came out, but as I was taking the chains off I felt its heart beat! Soon after Bella starting licking her new baby and everything was okay, even though it was after midnight by this time. Suprisingly, her huge calf was actually a heifer. She is an AI calf and is out of the Angus bull Yield Grade.
So, Bella's new calf is our "hello":

On a different note, I had to say "Goodbye" to Pinky and Tommy this week. Both kittens were adopted (but not to the same place) and I'm really hoping that they are doing okay and being taken care of. The other two kittens are still here and I'm planning on just keeping them unless someone else really wants one. They were my personal favorites anyhow!
Good luck Pinky & Tommy:




No comments: