Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Baking

On Tuesday it was snowing like crazy and I didn't have too much going on for work so I took my own snow day. I spent the entire day baking Christmas cookies. I wanted to try all new cookies this year and then mail an assortment to family back home. I didn't take any pictures, but here is what I made:

1) My Grandma Sue gave my a cookie press while I was home over Thanksgiving. I had never heard or seen a cookie press before--so I had to do some research on how to even use it.

Classic Spritz Cookies:
3 sticks of butter at room temp
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teas. vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour

You mix the butter, sugar, egg & vanilla. Gradually add the flour while mixing. Fill the cookie press about 3/4 full and begin pressing out cookies. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
I had a little bit of trouble getting the cookies to stick to the cookie sheet (instead of hanging on the cookie press) but the cookies turned out really good and the shapes are really cute. I added green food coloring to the tree shaped cookies.
I would recommend a cookie press to anyone. Here is the one I have: http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=600&categoryCode=HG

2) Raspberry Pinwheels
These are SO good. Luke described them as tasting like fruit cobbler--I'm telling you they're great. The only change I would make is when you brush them with egg and add the sugar, I would only brush with egg white. My eggs left kind of a yellow smear on the top which makes them not look as appetizing as they are.

3) Glazed Lemon Cookies
These cookies were really easy and really good. The glaze is delicious!

4) Almond Roca
My Mom always makes almond roca every year for Christmas. I didn't have her recipe so I used this one: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000903almond_roca.php
I happened to forget to add the water--so this is testimony that you don't need to add the water. It will work great and taste great without it.

5) Simple Fudge

This fudge is so easy to make and tastes great:

Simple Fudge:
Heat 1 package of chocolate chips and 14 oz of condensed milk on the stove. Stir continuously.
Once all chocolate chips and melted add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of chopped nuts. Stir in. Pour into 8x8 greased pan. Refridgerate until solid.

Warning: None of these recipes are low-fat or "healthy" in any way...but it's the holidays so splurge!

No comments: